The City exists to help all people be with Jesus, become like Jesus and do the works of Jesus in our city. We believe that the church’s primary mission is to make disciples and that discipleship involves a whole life reorientation toward being with Jesus, becoming like Jesus and doing what He did. We believe regardless of age or stage of life; we have all been invited into such a lifestyle that we may experience the promise of scripture of “life in all its fullness” and our city blessed and renewed.
We are seeking a full-time Pastor of Spiritual Formation & Discipleship (PSFD) to facilitate the growth and spiritual development of The City. This role focuses on cultivating a culture of discipleship, fostering community through Lifegroups, and nurturing individuals in their journey of spiritual formation. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies, programs, and initiatives that foster spiritual growth, equipping believers to be with Jesus, become like Jesus and do the works of Jesus in our city.
The PSFD should express a conviction for both the charismatic as well as contemplative traditions. We seek to build a church where we seek the tangible presence of God by embracing the gifts and ministry of the Holy Spirit. We also want to be a church that practices a slowdown spirituality in a hyper-connected, over-busy, and exhausted world by recovering ancient spiritual practices such as sabbath, silence, solitude, and contemplative prayer. We desire to be a church of the Word and the Spirit. To cultivate both not as either-or categories but wholistic and integrative in how we may be “filled with all the fullness of God”.
- Work closely with the lead pastor to align discipleship, Lifegroup, and spiritual formation initiatives with the overall strategic direction and vision of the church.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive discipleship strategy that promotes spiritual growth and maturity.
- Provide pastoral care, counselling, and guidance to individuals seeking personal and spiritual development.
- Oversee the Lifegroup ministry, including recruitment, training, and support of Lifegroup leaders.
- Facilitate the formation and multiplication of Lifegroups to ensure community building and spiritual growth.
- Design Sunday sermon series in collaboration with the Lead Pastor.
- Prepare and deliver engaging and impactful sermons.
- Provide biblical and theological guidance to the congregation, promoting a solid foundation of faith.
- Provide support to the lead pastor in pastoral duties, such as conducting worship services, baptisms, and communion.
- Living within character qualifications of 1 Timothy 3:1-13.
- Theological degree or degree in relevant field (e.g. education, psychology, counselling etc.) preferred but not required.
- Proven experience in leading and developing discipleship programs and Lifegroup ministries.
- Strong biblical knowledge and a commitment to sound doctrine.
- Excellent communication and teaching skills, with the ability to engage diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to provide pastoral care, counselling, and spiritual guidance.
- Leadership and team-building skills, with the ability to empower and equip others.
- Proficient in organizing and managing programs and resources.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a pastoral team and support the overall vision of the church.
This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.
Please contact The City Church directly at email@example.com for more information.